Sunday, May 9, 2010

Too busy to write?

So lately, I've been seeing a few of my writer friends having trouble doing the balancing act of writing, rewriting, and maintaining a normal life. Now I'm not going to say that it isn't hard, because I know. I only get a little time to write, and savor it because it's time for me to really enjoy myself. These people aren't going to quit writing all together, they just need to cut back on other things and focus on the most important thing, the writing. The story and your desire to tell it is what keeps most writers going. If that flame goes out, either by just not wanting to do it anymore, or time crushing it out, then you need to do what you need to do to keep it lit.

See, I have found that if I don't get to write during my normal times, I'm okay with that. It's not ideal, but it works because even though writing is important and I enjoy it immensely, sometimes other things come up. Being a writer is being flexible, being able to multi-task to the extreme, be two (or more) people at a time.

So for those of you having to cut back, do it. Your friends, both writer and non-writer will be waiting in the wings, and when the time comes that you have a success to share, we will be right there, rising from the shadows to cheer you on. Writing isn't the only thing in this world, it's just a small piece of it that we all enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment