Sunday, May 16, 2010

New Critique groups

So I have gotten into a new critique group, which is cool and all, but getting back into the flow of new people, some who have been working together before this group is a bit of a struggle. Reading the works of ten people can be difficult at times, good thing I have time at work on my lunch to do a critique or two.

I have noticed that my own writing time has dropped at times because I have a critique to get done and need to decide between writing that extra fifteen minutes or using that time to write out a critique, which can take longer, but both are important. I haven't quite got the balance I had in the past with writing and critiquing, because with a new son that I didn't have during my last big critiquing period time is cutting short. I can't believe it has been over a year since I had a very active critique group going.

What are some of your tips for working with a critique group? How do you manage that balance? I would love for anything to help.

2 comments:

  1. I learn a lot every time I crit someone else's work - though usually it's what *not* to do.

    I do need to plan the time for each critique, and just give up that night's writing.

    To make everyone's life smoother, I point out something good about the work, then talk about any problems, and end with something good, even just that I liked it. (I may not be able to say I loved it, but that's a different problem.) The sandwich approach really helps take the sting out.

    ReplyDelete