Sunday, May 23, 2010

Alice in Wonderland Review

So I managed to see a copy of this movie this past weekend. I'm not a big fan of the original animated version nor numerous retelling of it, however this one enticed me to watch it because of the persuasive power of my wife. She's a big Johnny Depp fan and loves his work, especially along with Tim Burton.

My favorite thing about the movie was the role that Depp played. Very well done, however some of his motivations were hard for me to understand. Also his character, the Mad Hatter was crazy, and that is one of Depp's best moments. He was both comical, yet psychotic.

The set design which is Burton's calling card was top notch. Lots of colors, lots of fabulous costumes and quirky characters.

The thing that I think I didn't really care for and was a major reason that I found it boring was the lack of the magical moments. I don't know what to say, but maybe its just me, because the moment when Alice drinks the potion to shrink and eat the cake to grow just wasn't the same. Other scenes later on I didn't feel for similar reasons.

I'm not saying its not worth seeing if you are a fan of the original material as this one is a good telling of the story and the special effects were awesome, however, I just felt that it missed on some of the heartfelt moments that the first one had. I didn't really root for Alice to survive and want her to get out. So I give it a 2.5 out of 5.


No comments:

Post a Comment