Sunday, September 19, 2010

Poker strategies

So I haven't continued with this section for a while, so I wanted to update it a bit.

Lately, I've been playing once or twice a week with my group and have found that I play better against smaller groups. I think this is mainly because I take more chances with my hands. I am more willing to play A6 or A7 because if my ace hits, it's usually good. Now it gets even better they are suited, but I wanted to focus on a strategy, that I think is important: Heads up play.

This usually only happens when its the final two people in a tourney, and is a very important skill that many people don't utilize fully.
I don't want to give away all my strategy, but I will go over some of the basics:
Face cards are worth a ton, because a lot of hands can just be won based on high card.
Suited connectors are strong as well.
Any pocket pair is good enough to raise with.

With these in mind, I will call out a hand that I had last night.
I was big blind and I had noticed that the person I was playing against was easy to get off of hands, so I started to raise on any two cards, but this strategy isn't that sound as if I didn't pick up on this weakness, it could have backfired with him reraising over the top, causing me to lose the chips I bet into him.

So that is all I have to say for the basics of heads up play.

No comments:

Post a Comment