Sunday, September 12, 2010

"Gone" Review


So a while ago I mentioned that I picked up "Gone" by Michael Grant. I read it in a little over a week, and have the following review for it.

The characters I felt that they were well rounded, except for a few of the minor characters that came across as sort of stereotypical. I really liked Sam and Astrid as well as Caine. I could real feel for Sam as his time drew short and how he felt trying to be the one in charge of everything, but only because everyone seemed to rely on him.
The friends of his, like Little Pete, Quinn, and a few other's seemed only there to serve their purpose and I didn't like how they felt more like tools than real people. Maybe it better as the series goes on, but I don't know.
One thing that worked well was the way that the author slowly introduced the powers of the characters and how not all of the people trapped have them.

The plot: I liked the plot, I thought that it wasn't that original as I read Stephen King's "Under the Dome" before this one, even though it came out first. Maybe if it was the other way around, it would have been different, but the idea of being trapped in a small area is something that is interesting, especially how the human interactions are forced because they are trapped.

Pacing: I felt the pacing was very spot on. It grew steadily throughout the book and never really let up, which made for a very enjoyable ride while it lasted. I also liked how they hinted at things that would be problems in future books.

Overall I would rate this a good 4/5. Something I would definitely check out if you are into stories about people with abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment