Sunday, September 19, 2010

"The Haunted" Review

This past week, my wife and I both finished the "The Haunted" by Jessica Verday. I know the author from her posting on a forum that I frequent, Querytracker.net, so I had to support her. You know supporting authors is part of being an author.

I have to say first and foremost, I am not a fan of first person view usually, mainly because I sort of like to get other POV's from time to time. However, this book really excels at telling the story well in the first person. It gave me a real connection with the narrator, and that was important to understand her feelings throughout the story.

I really like the characters of both Caspian and Abbey as they are young people in love. I found the secondary characters to be pretty well drawn as well, especially like Ben.

The only problem that I really have with the plot of this book is that for the first half of it, it is sort of boring. A lot of setting up the world, slowly building Abbey back into her normal life and her friends, but after this gets setup, it all pays off wonderfully in the end. Lots of suspense and tension both romantic and action oriented.

I would give this book a solid 3.5/5 and my wife has already recommended it to a few of her friends, so she probably liked it closer to 4.5/5.




No comments:

Post a Comment