Wednesday, January 20, 2010

WiP Wednesday

So a quick update on my current outline tasks. I stopped doing them. It just doesn't work for me. I find it hard to work through the story unless I'm actually writing it. Maybe its just the way that it has to be with me. I like to find out the twists with the character as I write. I learn more about the main character as I go, which helps me get attached to him.

The main flaw of this method is that my rewrites tend to be longer, harder, and deeper than if I would outline. Some of the things that need to be fixed is making things consistent. Maybe the main character's sister at the start of the story has blonde hair, but later on she has brown hair, because I forgot as she was only in a minor scene? Stuff like that pops up.

The good news is that I have started on my next piece. So far, the outline that I did create is off, but it works. The main character reveals his secret in the first 5 pages, and when initially I wanted his friends to abandon him, they embrace it, accept it and don't think anything about it. Honestly, I don't know if this piece will work so far, but thats how I feel for the first fifty pages usually. That's when I get a better understanding of the world and really know the rules. This is also where it gets fun. I'm engrossed in the world, enjoy the characters, feel for them and let them take me on the journey. It's something that I think most writers can enjoy, the characters talk to you. It's a very magical moment.

That's enough for now. I'll keep you updated on this project as it goes along. I still have another piece that is waiting patiently to be looked at and started on the first rewrite. I'll get to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment