Sunday, August 1, 2010

Drama

Hi again, I wanted to talk about drama in writing. I'm not sure if I have written about it before, but thought that this topic is alway useful, and I have been watching a lot of ABC Family teenage drama shows lately. Sue me, because I'm a sucker for this stuff.

Anyway, I started watching this show called, "Make it or Break it," about elite gymnasts and their lives outside the gym. I'm a big fan of gymnastics, so that got me started, but after watching a marathon of season 1 this weekend with my wife, I noted a few trends that were working on me.

Such as the love triangles. There are two girls fighting over a single guy, which cause numerous scenes of tears, mistrust, lies, backstabbing, etc., and it worked because its interesting to see which one of the two girls will get the upper hand. Now it's not nice and there is always things that make you hate one over the other, but that's also why it works. You have a side to take and then see if they win out. Sort of like a sport.

Another that I noticed was the pressure on the main characters to perform, both for their team, their friends, their family. They have it coming at the from every angle, which works because maybe not everything is understandable, but at least one of the points of pressure does relate to the audience.

Now I'll continue my point in my next post as this one is getting a bit long in the tooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment