Thursday, March 25, 2010

Writing with Kids

How do you manage to do so? That's what I want to know. I've read blogs on this subject before and I've tried some of their examples, or tips with mild success. I'll tell you what works for me best. Sleep. Sleep. Once they fall asleep, around 8pm, I'm tired myself since I get up at 5:30 the next morning.

So lately, I've tried to do it right after work, while my wife works and the kids stay with her, since she runs a daycare out of the house. This might sound great, and it usually is, but it interferes with my writing a lot because once I get home, my kids want my attention and I just want to write because it relaxes me and gets me in a better frame of mind to face the evening, of dinner, playing games, hanging out with the family, and me and wife time.

So I'm asking for help. Should I go back to my old way and just slog my way through my writing before bed and after the kids are asleep, or continue to pop my headphones on my ears to drown them out right after work? What would you choose if those were your two options?

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could offer useful advice, but I'm kidless. Unless you count the cat, who thinks he owns *me*.

    From a personal point of view, I remember my father ignoring us after he got home from work. We never understood, and he never became close with any of us.

    Best wishes on a hard decision.

    ReplyDelete