Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Tale of Percy Jackson

So I've done it! I finished the entire 5 book series, however it could possibly be continued. I'll get to that later.

I really liked the series as you might have been able to tell over the course of the two previous reviews. The final book was I think the best. The pacing was spot on, I felt that Rick Riodan had gotten better at writing action by this point and this book contained a ton of action. I also enjoyed the way that he brought back previous characters to have small, but important parts of the final chapters.

Since, I'm not one to spoil things, I'll just say that the book didn't quite end the way I expected.

However, despite the good action and the development of the characters, which tied a lot of the lingering loose ends together, I felt that he did a cheap trick. He left the ending open again. Without ruining, I have to say you will know what I mean if you read it. But these sort of endings, just like the rest of the books aggravates me. I like a closed ending. Doesn't have to be happy or sad or any emotion in particular, just some semblance that the characters will go on with their life, but if I'm not going to read it, I don't want to know that there is a new thing awaiting them.

So in summary, these books were very well done, they are better as a whole, than the individual pieces, which is a glaring weak point in what I think keeps it from being a great series. Look at the Harry Potter books for reference. Those books each stand alone with their own plot that ties together at the ending, even with Voldemort still running around, the stories satisfactorily end at the end of the book. Anyways, that's really my only complaint of the entire series.

Do you guys have any things you would like me to review, or comment on. Any questions?

No comments:

Post a Comment