Sunday, April 18, 2010

Poker Frustrations

I know some of you can't relate, but those of you that can, don't you hate it when you go on tilt?The feeling of not being in control over what is happening on the table in front of you. This past weekend, I felt myself in this predicament where no matter what I did, it wasn't enough. The cards I folded hit the flop, and the cards I kept missed completely.

So after this past game, I got home way early, still angry about my play and getting knocked out so early. It stuck with me for the night, fuming and replaying the game over in my head. The psychology of the game was too much for me, I don't know if I wasn't in game form, or if I just played that bad. It kind of makes it worse.

To relate this to writing, it is similar when you get rejection after rejection on your project and you sit there and doubt your ability. It takes a day or so to calm down, and get back on the horse. See I was calm again when I woke up in the morning, but still that night was rough.

One thing I learned though over the years of writing, and playing poker is that you have to be quick to bounce back. Don't forget the mistakes, just use them, learn from them and understand that they make you a better player/writer in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment