Sunday, July 25, 2010

Twists in your writing

So I have been doing this blog for quite a bit now, and can't remember talking about creating believable twists for your plots. If I have forgive me, but the movie I saw this weekend, sort of brought this to my forefront again.

The way that I write, let it flow, these sort of twists sort of take me for a loop at the same time. Now this works two ways, one is that it is bad, because sometimes I didn't set it up properly and it comes out of nowhere and doesn't make a bit of sense. Then there are times where it surprises me so much so that I let it go, and realize that when I read the book again, it makes sense.

Now the thing about these two twists is that they both come out characters that I've created, and that is a good thing, but if the first instance happens, its bad because then I realize that I don't know my characters that well. Which any writer will tell you is a disaster.

Since I'm tired of talking about bad news, the good news is that when it works, it works on multiple levels, which is exhilarating for me. It really is so much fun for my story to have a life of its own.

So what are some of your most memorable twists? Did they take you by surprise or were they well planned from the start?

2 comments:

  1. I'm not good at planning twists - I suspect I think too much in a straight line. Yet in my current WIP, I did surprise at least one beta reader with a "twist." I set it up very carefully, so I didn't even consider it a twist, but I'm pleased she was surprised - and more pleased that she felt I'd pulled it off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a good feeling, when it works. We work so hard at them sometimes, that's its nice to see it payoff for the reader.

    ReplyDelete