Sunday, July 18, 2010

Sorcerer's Apprentice Review

So I'm back as you saw yesterday with my post, but today, I'm going to review a little movie I saw over my birthday four day weekend, the Sorcerer's Apprentice. This movie was exactly what I expected, a CGI fantasy adventure story, that was very little in the way of Oscar winning performances, however it was exactly what I wanted it to be.

This film stars Nicolas Cage as the Sorcerer who has to train an Apprentice, who he has been searching for for centuries. Of course the Apprentice doesn't want anything to do with being a wizard (new word as Sorcerer will be hard to type so many times in this review), because he wants a normal life.

Now this movie doesn't quite have the heart of the Harry Potter Films, but it does have some very neat effects, and spells used. My personal favorite is a nod to another Disney film, but I won't ruin it for you here.

The one downfall for this movie wasn't the acting of Cage himself, but the acting of the Apprentice, and the love interest. Now don't get me wrong, I didn't expect much, however, these characters seemed to be very by the book. Not much emotion, and the Apprentice especially was sort of grating because of his voice. Other's might not feel the same way, so I just wanted to call it out.

The action of the movie moves at a good clip, and keeps you interested with the variety of spells and how they work in relation to the rest of the world. I really liked how to learn magic, you need to know the physics behind it. A nice world building connection that draws the audience in, or at least me.

The conflict was well fleshed out and mainly because the bad guy was such well acted that it was hard not to hate him. Alfred Molina seemed at ease in the role, and really looked to be having fun.

So I'm not going to recommend this film for everyone. You have to be in the mood for it, and it might not appeal to everyone, but it is an enjoyable film that I recommend at least seeing when you get a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment