Thursday, February 18, 2010

Reading other genre's? Good or bad?

Thursday's always are the hardest post for me to come up with. I don't know why. The first three days have a sort of theme and this day is just left out.

I was thinking of some of the books I've read this year. The 5th book of Stephen King's Dark Tower, Stephen King's "Under the Dome." Percy Jackson's first book and now I'm reading a book called "The Book Thief."

This last book is much different than the other's mainly because of the subject matter. It's about a German girl in Nazi Germany during WW2. She steals books and that's how she learns to read. Now I like this book, well most of it, but something about it doesn't sit right with me. I can't quite place my finger on it. Maybe its the Nazi backdrop, or the very depressing nature of the story. I'm going to finish it despite all this because it is well written and so far a good story.

Do any of you have certain genre's that you don't read, or make you uncomfortable to read? Do you read outside of the genre you write? Do you think it gives you a better perspective than if you didn't? What are your thoughts on this matter?

I personally read a lot of different genre's, but I mainly look for stories that interest me. The story is key to me, not the writing or the author. How about you?

1 comment:

  1. I had to stop and think about this. I mostly read in five different genres. Story is important to me, but so is the writing. If the style annoys me, I don't read it. My time and budget are limited, so I do look to authors I know first, then spread out to unknowns.

    How I miss the days when I could buy 10 or 15 books a month! Way back then, I single-handedly supported hundreds of new authors. ;-)

    ReplyDelete