Wednesday, September 21, 2011

What I learned from my job lately

So my old contract left and I had to find a new one. This new one is more sales oriented and I have certain goals I have to meet to keep the job.

This job is about me trying to convince people who want to cancel something to keep it. Now with the economy the way it is, this is much harder than it had to be in the past, or so they tell me.

I have learned that despite having a fast start on getting a bunch of people to keep the product, my day can still take a turn for the worst when a bunch of people drop the product. It's about the law of averages, and eventually it will turn around again for the better. So what this has taught me and how it relates to writing is that determination is key. It only takes one yes to succeed, such as a querying, but along the way you have to keep your head up and keep plugging along to reach that goal. Along the way you are going to take your lumps and people saying no, but when you get that yes, it just makes it that much sweeter.

So I have been polishing my query like mad to prepare for the fall querying season for me. So what are some of the things that your job taught you that can be related to a process in writing.

**PS. I kept the details of my job vague because I sighed a non-disclosure agreement so please don't ask what product I was talking about.***

1 comment:

  1. Hugs! I wish you success in your new job. Or, better yet, I hope a less frustrating job comes your way soon.

    Plus I'm cheering you on for success in querying!

    ReplyDelete