Friday, April 29, 2011

Review "After Tupac and D Foster" by Jacqueline Woodson

Another one of the books that I picked up from Michelle Mclean's contest.

It is about two young African American girls growing up during the time when Tupac was going through his troubles before he died. They meet a girl who just comes out of nowhere and they become fast friends even though they don't know a ton about the new girl.

That's pretty much the book. I thought that the way the author developed the time period and the characters was well done. I really liked the narrator and how we get to understand her and her life.

However, the problem that I had with the book and this was just me, I wanted more from it. I wanted something else to be happening. The girls sort of live their life, but don't have much in the way of input. It seems like most of the story revolves around the death of Tupac and their reactions. Maybe the meaning was lost on me, and I'm not afraid to say that. I enjoyed it for what it was, a character study of life in an African American neighborhood, but really thought that there were missed opportunities to have the main character get more involved in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment