Sunday, March 20, 2011

Tough Chapters

I have been working on a chapter for a couple weeks now. Its in my first draft, but its a pivotal chapter that is causing me headaches. Mainly because I can't decide what way it should go.

I have tried to write it a few times now and gotten to the end and started over because it left me with a cold feeling at the end. Like it was against my character's will to go this way or that way.

So I have decided to take a small break. Let my characters rest. Let me refocus on the goal of the chapter. Hopefully when I come at it again this week, I will have the intelligence to stand out of the way and to let my characters lead me through the fog.

What do you do with tough chapters? What are some tips you can share with me?

3 comments:

  1. I take breaks, too, or go back and work on a different part of the novel/another project.

    Good luck with your chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I think I might have had a breakthrough tonight. We'll see how I feel about it tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, when I hit a writer's block, it usually means I *need* to take a break. The good news is that the unconscious (AKA subconscious) mind continues to mull things over even when we're not actively thinking about something. Then (usually at 3am), a solution will present itself. ;)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete