Sunday, February 20, 2011

Handling Feedback

I've been writing and getting feedback for the better part of my life and I have noticed one thing...

You can't take it personal. I've been reading a lot of blogs and tweets about people reacting to their negative feedback. It's okay to feel down and bummed out. It's natural, but really it's not about you. It's about your product. I know you put your heart and soul into it, but it's still not directed at you.

Now I've never received a comment saying that I suck, but maybe other people have. If I received someone saying that to me in a group setting or directly, I would pretty much never respect their opinion because they aren't critiquing the product, but they are critiquing me.

Granted it is all in the way that it is worded, and some people can't make the negative constructive than I don't think they are worth your time.

Right now I have an awesome crit group who I've been with for a few months now. Nothing but good has come out of their feedback.

How do you react to someone who gives you back negative comments? Do you take it personally? Do you talk to them privately? What to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment