Friday, March 9, 2012

Voice of a novel

Lately I've been thinking a lot about the voice of my novel. My character is a teenager, but she's uncertain in her life and goals. She lives in fear, and looks at things in ways differently because of her power.

Now, I don't want to write it with all the gusto of a teenager with the um's, but's, whatever's, so how do I convey a teenager voice realistically? I just write it my way, with my own perspective on when I was a teenager. I saw things as overwhelming at times, and felt like I could conquer the world without a second glance other times.

What I did with my novel, and I think I need to work on it is spunk it up more. She's a spitfire when threatened and because of her power she is scared of losing control, so she remains reserved and observant instead of just gungho.

Now maybe it's just me, but that is the way I see the character and feel I convey that well in my writing, but if I don't, how do you edit for voice? How do you bring that out and make sure your readers understand it? Any tips, or suggestions, because my internet searches aren't pulling up much in the way of suggestions on how to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment